Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started by The Broke and The Bookish.
Discovering new authors is sometimes hard but so worth it.
December 8: Top Ten New-To-Me Favorite Authors/Books I Read For The First Time In 2015
1) Elena Ferrante – As if you couldn’t have guessed this one…Her writing is so passionate and forceful and yet she manages to do so much with so few words. Incredible. Check out my report on her novel, The Days of Abandonment.
2) Margaret Atwood – I can’t believe it took me so long to read The Handmaid’s Tale. This novel is like, the original dystopian novel, and Atwood builds a world that is terrifying in its accepted “normalcy”. I can’t wait to read more of her.
3) George RR Martin – I’m the last person on this bandwagon but I only started reading the Game of Thrones series this year and they are so good! Huge, epic adventures with tons of characters and plotlines, how Martin is able to keep it all straight is amazing.
4) Diana Gabaldon – Like George RR Martin, her Outlander series has been around forever. The books are a fun adventure with plenty of steamy romance thrown in. Plus the TV series is really great. I can’t wait for season 2!
5) Deborah Harkness – I think I may have started her Discovery of Witches series in 2014 but finished in 2015, so that probably counts. This series was great fun from start to finish. *crosses fingers* Please, please let there be a Gallowglass spin-off series!
6) Lisa Lutz – I read her novel How to Start a Fire this year and absolutely loved it. She has a series of mystery/detective novels that I know I need to read.
7) Sabaa Tahir – I just finished reading An Ember in the Ashes and I can’t wait for the next book in the series!
Who are your favorite new authors or books discovered in 2015?
(Also, side-note, I was under the impression that I read mostly male authors but that doesn’t appear to be the case…Mostly, I’m just a supporter of good stories be they male or female written, but I’m happy to see so many female authors on my list!)